Spring has officially arrived at last and our clients are keen to get outside and actively enjoy their gardens and outdoor spaces again.
Here are the Garden Company’s top 3 priorities when caring for gardens at this time of year:
1 Getting lawns into good shape for the summer
- Raking lawns to remove dead growth and winter debris.
- Topdress with a fine topsoil and over-seed bare patches.
- Start mowing being careful not to cut too severely initially.
2 Pruning trees and shrubs
- Major pruning should be completed by now but you can still remove dead and damaged branches from woody plants.
- Be careful not to disturb birds that may be starting to nest
3 Choosing new plants for the year ahead
- You can still transplant snowdrops that have finished flowering to start new colonies in other parts of the garden.
- It’s a good time to plant later flowering perennials to get them established for a good show in the late Summer and Autumn.
What are your plans for your garden/outdoor space this year? If you are seeking inspiration, why not take some time over Easter to visit one of the RHS’s excellent gardens – I’ll be taking my family along for Easter Egg trails and wildlife walks (www.rhs.org.uk). There are 4 gardens to choose from and they all offer a wonderful day out at this time of year.
For those of you in London or the South-East, we’d love to hear from you and discuss your ideas for making the most of the spring and summer seasons this year – please phone the office on 01442 832666 or email me at email@example.com